  • Subject: Re: Jacada Innovator product
  • From: jkrueger@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 13:36:37 -0500

The Jacada Innovator product still isn't generally available, even though
it was initially announced over a year ago.  If it ever ships, it should be
relatively fast, and shouldn't use many more AS/400 system resources than
Telnet.  It intercepts your workstation calls, so that a 5250 datastream
never has to be generated or processed.  The GUI screen generator is
relatively easy to use, but does some require some training.  As with most
text conversion products, the amount of time you need to spend modifying
your panels will depend on whether you decide you can live with their
default look and feel;  the more things you decide to modify, the longer
your conversion will take.  The biggest exposure is that all of your
existing source programs, whether they are in COBOL or RPG, will need to be
modified.  The conversion is automated, but you will need to plan on
retesting everything.  If you used DDS in a very standard way, this
conversion should be straightforward.  It is certainly an option worth
considering, but be careful not to sign up for a pure bait and switch,
where they hook you on Innovator, and then sell you one of their older
5250-based products instead.

Janet Krueger
Rochester Technology Center
www.dhagroup.com/rtc/

Question, has anyone ever used the Jacada Innovator product?

This is a fascinating product to me. Seems like a Gui replacement for the
5250 data stream and uses the PC as it should be used (Data Presentation)
and the AS/400 as it should be used(As a server).

Things I wonder about are:

1. Speed. How fast is it?
2. How easy is it to use the Gui Screen generator?
3. How much modification do you have to do to the generated Gui Screens?
4. Is it stable?