  • Subject: Re: SYSTEM TUNING
  • From: nina jones <ddi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 07:59:08 -0500

> 1. do a DSPJOBTBL.  If you have loads of "available" entries, you'll need to
> compress the job table at the next ipl - do a CHGIPLA and F4 to set it up.
> I'd also set it to check the job table for the next ipl also.
> 2. Do you have loads of spool files on your system?  These stay as "jobs"
> until the output is either deleted or printed....
> 3. Check system values QACTJOB, QADLACTJOB, QADJTOTJOB, QRCLSPLSTG, QTOTJOB

i went to a user's meeting several months ago, and was shocked that most
did not know about the system values for active jobs and total jobs.

the system supplied values date back from the old 38 days, and are WAY
to low. that's one quick change to make that can help.  (you do it with
wrksysval).

total jobs are the # of jobs in the system when you do a wrksyssts, and
active jobs are when you do a wrkactjob.  for example, if your total
active jobs are 150, and the system value hasn't been changed, it
allocates something like 20, with an extension value of 10 to keep up
with it.  so change it to what your wrkactjob # of jobs total typically
runs!

also, don't be running jobs, especially large interactive batch type
jobs, from the system console.  it will bring everyone else to their
knees!

nj