  • Subject: Re: Performance tools with NIC Usage
  • From: Jim Langston <jlangston@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 14:57:44 -0700

I guess the question becomes, what are you going to be doing to the AS/400
through the connection at the remote locations?

If you are just going to be doing dumb terminal green screens, you actually
don't

need that much bandwidth at all.  56k  can server 8 to 10 dumb tube green
screens

without real noticeable degradation.  That is using SNA.  If you switched to
TCP/IP
green screens, I am sure the amount of data would actually go down quite a bit.

Are you having PCs on the remote location?  And will there be file transfers
taking
place?  Then you would want to up the bandwidth.  Are you going to be using
printers
thorough the pipe?  One printer shouldn't make a big difference, more than that,
you would want to increase the bandwidth though.  So, if you had 10 dumb tubes
or

green screen applications, 2 printers and a few mild data transfers, 128k might
do you.

For TCP/IP applications (Client/Server) you are going to need much more
bandwidth,
because the AS/400 will send the client the data, then the client will do the
processing,
and show the reports.  You would want quite a bit more bandwidth for these types
of applications, 256k or more, depending on number of sessions, and what speed
is acceptable.  There will be a noticeable degradation of speed with slower
bandwidths
for these applications, and the bigger pipe the better.

Regards,

Jim Langston

Eric Dupre wrote:

> Sorry if I did not follow up on this one, But I was out of the
> office(Working at a client site).
>
> What I want to know how do I proceed if I wanted to evaluate the type
> of network connection(i.e. ISDN, 512K, T1 etc) I would need if I move My
> AS/400(620) to a remote location.
>
> I was planning on installing a 512kbps but I need stats to back it up.

<SNIP>