  • Subject: RE: IBM Certifications
  • From: "Ken Sims at SWS Nevada" <ken.sws@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 17:29:36 -0700

Hi Brad -

>Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 16:53:16 -0500
>From: "Stone, Brad V (TC OASIS)" <bvstone@taylorcorp.com>
>Subject: RE: IBM Certifications

<snip>

>Scenario.  You have two resumes in front of you.  Joe is certified in RPG
>and Operations, John in not.  Joe has little experience being a night
>operator according to his resume.  John has 8 years experience with
>Operations, Programming, and even a dash of Net.Data and CGI programming,
>the only evidence of which is it is on his resume.

I'll assume that this is a programming position, since I am not involved in
the hiring of operators, and besides we do not require AS/400 experience in
our operators.

>You can pick one, only one, and they will come work for you forever.  Whom
>do you choose?

Let's at least pretend to make this realistic.  If somebody turns out to be
incapable, we will move them to some other kind of position that they are
capable of, or let them go.

Addressing the certification issue, my thought on seeing the certification
would be "That's nice, but what can this person actually DO?"  Then I would
set them down to take my programming test, just like a person who didn't
have the certification.

Ken
Southern Wine and Spirits of Nevada, Inc.