  • Subject: IBM Manuals wrong for RPG CAT? (Hans?)
  • From: "Stone, Brad V (TC OASIS)" <bvstone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 15:57:41 -0500

Well, I was looking into something, and this struck me.  I had to verify my
thoughts with someone else on this  My co-worker agreed these looked wrong.
The examples for the CAT operation in the RPG reference are wrong.  Either
that or I'm SO fried right now that I can't see it.  Here are the examples:

The following example shows leading blanks in factor 2.  After

   |    * the CAT, the RESULT contains 'MR.SMITH'.

   |    *

   |   C                   MOVE      'MR.'         NAME              3

   |   C                   MOVE      ' SMITH'      FIRST             6

   |   C     NAME          CAT       FIRST         RESULT            9

   |    *

   |    *  The following example shows the use of CAT without factor 1.

   |    *  FLD2 is a 9 character string.  Prior to the concatenation, it

   |    *  contains 'ABC'; FLD1 contains 'XYZ

   |    *  After the concatenation, FLD2 contains 'ABCXYZ'.

   |    *

   |   C                   MOVEL(P) 'ABC'          FLD2              9

   |   C                   MOVE     'XYZ'          FLD1              3

   |   C                   CAT      FLD1:2         FLD2

|___________________________________________________________________________
______________|
   Figure 198. CAT Operation

Shouldn't the first example be 'MR.^SMITH' and the second be 'ABC^^XYZ'?
(^=space)

The others are wrong as well.  If I am correct and not out of my mind, then
I can only come to the assumption that when translating the manuals to HTML,
if they aren't using <PRE> then they forgot for each space to put in a
&nbsp; character.  That's besides the point, though.  I am looking at this
correctly, right?

Hans, what's up with this?

Bradley V. Stone
BVS/Tools