  • Subject: Re: What is SRC 917B4300?
  • From: dhandy@xxxxxxxxxxx (Douglas Handy)
  • Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 10:39:37 -0400

Larry (and James),

>  You need a crossover cable between the PC and the 6141 ports.  I believe the
>console default would be 9600,n,8,1.

I tried both straight-thru and crossover cables.  According to AS/400
ASCII Work Station Reference, SA41-3130, under "Attachment Methods
Supported", the cable depends on how it is attached.  Only Modem and
PTT show a crossover cable; Direct, 3-wire, 4-wire, and EIA-422 all
show straight-thru pinning.  Another section specifically says about
the console:

"It must be attached through an EIA-232-D direct cable to port 0 of
the first ASCII Work Station Controller on bus 0 (the first card
enclosure on the AS/400 system or plate on the back of the AS/400 9402
Cxx-Fxx system)."

It does not say specifically what default settings are expected on the
console, other than that it must be a 3151 or 316X.  It does have an
appendix of suggested settings for various model workstations.  All
the IBM ones except the 3101 show a suggested setting of 19200, even
parity, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit, and ETX turnaround character.  I
tried that and numerous other combinations.

It says the suggested settings need not be used, but the settings must
match the configuration values.  There is also a section on using
*CALC in the configuration for automatic detection of settings.  This
is where it talks about using "..<CR>" (or repeated CR's) to allow the
controller to detect and match the device settings.

>Just to note that if it DOES have OS/400 on it, it's not legal. You will need
>purchase OS/400 at a price that makes a 170 look very good.

I am aware of that, and have argued IBM's side of license issues on
other forums.  I have my own 40S with a license..  I bought the
machine to plunder parts, then possibly resell.  Most eBay 400's don't
mention the OS issue, some say "software not included" and have still
received bids.

I wanted the machine to IPL at least to the point where I could verify
the condition of the hardware, and use DST to reconfigure the DASD to
replace the current drives with a spare pair of 6602's on my shelf.
So far, I can't get to DST.  Some of the 200-2031's on eBay are just
8MB memory and 1GB disk.  This is 56MB (the max for that processor
card) and I was going to install 2GB disk.

If it IPL'd, I fully expected to get the system password screen
telling me I'd need a new system password and allowing 70 days to run
without it.  Maybe the machine had not be decommissioned long enough
to trigger the presumption of ownership change IBM assumes when the
machine is not IPL'd or running for a certain number of days (which is
one of the conditions requiring a new system password).  This is one
way IBM attempts to keep people from using it without a valid license.
If a box sits idle long enough, the assumption is that it sat in a
broker's warehouse and will need a new license (read $ for new
password).

As I said, I don't need the license or the box.  But if I sell it as a
unit, or even sell just parts which I don't want to keep, I'd like to
know the parts work when I list it  It only seems fair.  The next
person may just want the memory or 5135 feature power supply or comm
cards or tape drives or my 6602's or whatever.

>VERY Cheap. Want one?

I did take note of your earlier posting mentioning 8 of them.  At this
point I'm still not positive if it is the 6141 or something else,
although I have tried about every combination of comm settings and
straight vs crossover cabling.

(Apologies to David for the somewhat off-topic nature of this thread.)

Doug