Some of these comments are using the assumption that you only need a
relatively small portion of these large files reported.

If you don't need "real time" data that the PC queries give you. Say your
data is not in flux on a minute by minute basis. You can write AS400 Queries
to do the filtering for you, and put these on a scheduler. Then do your ODBC
links to these. This is the solution for our business. Some of the records
are updated hourly, some as little as twice daily. The largest record on the
AS400 we query against using Access is @ 6,000 rows X 24 columns. We get
summary results from this in about 10 seconds.

There is also a way in VB to do "pass thru" statements that call on AS400
native SQL or whatever, again, putting the filtering process back to the 400
where it will run much, much faster. We have not yet run these, but have
read articles about this capability.

Learn VB

Dale Draper
Sega Enterprises, Inc. (USA)