  • Subject: Re: Problem with AS/400 Devices
  • From: Jim Langston <jlangston@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Oct 1999 07:33:51 -0700

Dale, are you using twinax or twisted pair?

We use twisted pair and use Balun's to attach to the twinax devices.  We had
one remote office that had similar problems, and it was because one of the tubes
was faulty and was bringing down the whole leg.  They were twisted pair, but
were daisy chained.

I did the same thing we do here in the corporate office, I bought them a power
panel for 5250 devices and sent it out to them.  Then the wiring person wired
that
in, and it is a star pattern instead of daisy chain.  What this did was, when
one
device went down, it went down, and left the rest alone.  Was a lot easier to
find
the one tube that was out then to have to check all the tubes to find out which
one was out.

Also, it is very easy now to go to the power panel and unplug the devices and
plug them in one by one.  Plug one in, it comes up.  Plug in next one, it comes
up, plug in next one, it doesn't come up or first one goes down, is a conflict
between the two.

You also have to confirm that each device has a unique address.  If two share
the same address what will usually happen with the power panel anyway, is that
the first one to come up with that address gets the address, the other one
doesn't
get anything.  If they are daisy chained, it seems to bring both of them down,
if
not the whole chain.

If you are in a daisy chain twinax environment, I would really suggest you
switch
to a power panel star environment.  It is very reasonably priced and you can
usually use your existing buildings wiring too (although it must be at least
cat 3,
cat 5 preferred).

Regards,

Jim Langston