  • Subject: Re: Rewarding Challenge AS/400
  • From: Larry Bolhuis <lbolhui@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 21:45:03 -0400

Bruce,

  Thank you for this post, it is the most succinct statement yet as to what IBM
knows about this problem and is doing about it.

  Lief, that said: Why, if this is such an important issue (and I agree that it
is) has an APAR not been opened?   Having been very vocal on the issue, and
knowing what you know, it seems IMHO, that you have a responsibility to report
this as fully and completely to IBM as you can.  Those of us who are concerned
with this problem can (and I have) notified those that we can that the problem
exists but only you have the intimate details.

  Bruce You bring up one point that has irritated me for some time and my
complaints have fallen on deaf ears:  Why are keysticks only available when you
spend $100,000 or more on your AS/400?  Consider that most systems of that value
and up are in secured areas. They don't need the stick as much as those 170's
and
600's that are under peoples desks!!  Keystick or other panel security should be
extended from the 170 and up!

  And one other note:  While 'hacking' a secured password ON the System Being
Hacked requires considerable authority, if a copy of a SAVSYS or SAVSECDTA is
available the hacking can be done in private.

  - Larry

--
Larry Bolhuis         | What do You want to Reload today?
Arbor Solutions, Inc  | Don't throw your PC out the window,