  • Subject: RE: Pandemonium at Hot-sites
  • From: Glenn Birnbaum <gbirnba@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 17:15:53 -0700

Frankly, the restore of the AS400 (from Weekly/Daily backups, etc.) is the EASY
PART of disaster recovery.  A good AS400 administrator will be able to recover
the AS400, assuming good backups were created in the first place.  Practice
will make it less difficult and more streamlined, and is a GOOD THING to do.
But THE HARD PART is getting new facilities, office/desktop equipment, creating
the new network connections, communicating to the employees, recovering data
that never got into the computers yet (office mail, hardcopy, hand written
notes), deciding what gets attention first, etc. etc.  Not to mention, where is
all the money to do this coming from???

The question I like to ask is this:  If on the way to work, you hear on the
radio that your company's headquarters or office buildings have burned down, do
you know what actions are expected of you next?????  If you do, then someone
has at least commmunicated the first steps and early decisions that a DR plan
should address.  If you don't, then shame on your company, and you better hope
that the disaster waits until you CAN answer that question.

I don't mean to trivalize the AS400 portion of the DR plan, but the AS400
Backup/Recovery manual does a good job of describing several strategies that
work as far as getting a usable restore to the same or different AS400.  It's
the predictable part of the recovery.  The scary part is all the other stuff
that varies, depending upon the nature of the disaster.  A detailed
communication plan for all departments/employees at the ompany is, in my
opinion, the heart of a good DR plan. Who calls who to declare the disaster?
Who gets the money to buy stuff? How do employees find out where to go, what
phone numbers to call, etc???  There's a lot of stuff to thing about and
coordinate and a lot of it has nothing to do with computers.  Remember, it's a
DR plan for the company, not just the computers!

Glenn (hope I don't have a disaster) Birnbaum