  • Subject: Re: Star Trek games (was: errors)
  • From: John P Carr <jpcarr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 15:39:18 -0400

>The only Star Trek program I remember on the S/38 was one migrated from the

>S/34. We used to run that late at night when users were signed off..... and

>the IPLed the system to get things running again. Anyone have earlier
>memories? This goes back to late seventies, I think.
>Hank Heath
>HLHeath Consulting

Since you brought it up(or someone did).
They were called  SCOPELIB and FUNLIB on the Sys/34.
SCOPE/34 was the predecessor to NEWS/400   I think.

These libs were on virtually every Sys/34.

They were one of the ways I learned advanced techinques at the time.

Saying  "Hey,  that's neat,   I wonder how they did that."

I took a look at the source and learned all kinds of new things.
That is the essence of the code sharing thing.
The major difference is that you saw the working program,
THEN looked at the code which made it do that.

With code snippets,  source sharing, etc  you never can
get the visuallization of what it does.   You have to look
at it abstractly and say "Let me see,   That means it would
look like that/it would do that"

That's how I learned to dump down my program object on the
Sys/34 to sector-mode(8bytes) and then change record #5
Byte 4 bit # 3 to *ON and reverse the process.
Now my program would run "Without swapping"
Man NOTHING kicked it out of memory when it ran.
or change a program as a joke so it would only run
from the system console.   (Made operators go nuts).

Now then,
How many used to print off their Bio-rhythms each month.
or Printed off the X-mas calandar  sideways.
both from FUNLIB.

John Carr
Older than I want to remember.