  • Subject: Re: Fw: Rewarding challenge AS/400...
  • From: Jim Langston <jlangston@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 11:06:23 -0700

Well, usually no one tells me they left.  And if I find out later, I delete
them,

or I find out when I analyze user passwords, and see the last date they changed
their password was over 30 days ago.

But if someone is using some else's account...

There was a case, for instance.  Someone had left before I had came here,
analyzing passwords was fine.  The, this person came back. And then I see
the message in QSYSMSG that their password was disabled.

Looking at the display station it was disabled from I quickly figured out
what had happened.  There was a user who did not have the authority to
do something years ago, call them UserA, so this other user, UserB,  let
them use their account.  UserB then left the company.  No one was around
to delete UserB's account, and UserA continued to use it.  UserB comes
back to the company, and changes their password (how they figured out
what their current password was, I don't know, as they must change it
every 30 days).  UserA then tries to log in to UserB's account, and disables
it since the password was changed.

UserA was talken to (talked to?) and told this was a definite no no, never do
it again, UserB was talken to and told never to give anyone their password,
a message was broadcast that everyone is to use their log in and no one else's,
if they needed authority have their manager contact me or they weren't supposed
to be doing it in the first place.

I then took a list of our users to our head accounting person/person in charge
and
asked them who still worked here.  She didn't know.

So what to do?

Regards,

Jim Langston