  • Subject: RE: Testing for first non-blank character
  • From: "Kahn, David [JNJFR]" <DKahn1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 15:32:24 +0200

Roger and Julian are right. This technique is roughly 10 times faster than
CHECK (if efficiency is a concern). However, there are some bugs in Roger's
pseudo-code. We're looking for the first NON-blank character so the test
should be <> blank. The shuffle should be move followed by movel, not movel
followed by move.

CHECK does not alter the field being tested, whereas the Julian/Roger method
destroys the source field. However, if the movel were to specify 'pad with
blanks' the source field will end up left aligned rather than simply
mangled, which may be an added bonus. In fact left aligning the source field
may enable Roger (Boucher) avoiding having to do the substring in the first
place, depending on why exactly he's doing it.

A corrected RPG/III rendering of Roger's pseudo-code is shown below. This
version both gives the original position of the 1st non-blank character and
left aligns the 15 byte source field. If the field is needed in it's
original condition it must be saved first. If the final value of IX is 16
then the source field was and is blank.

     C                     DO   15        X       30
     C                     MOVELSRCSTR    TSTSTR  1
     C           TSTSTR    IFNE *BLANK
     C                     LEAVE
     C                     ENDIF
     C                     MOVE SRCSTR    TGTSTR 14
     C                     MOVELTGTSTR    SRCSTR 15 P
     C                     ENDDO

If left aligning is all that's required JD Edwards thoughtfully supply you
with a canned subroutine to do this - C0040. This is more than 100 times
slower than the Julian/Roger technique, although to be fair it can do a lot
more than simply left justify.

Dave Kahn
Johnson & Johnson International (Ethicon) France
Phone : +33 1 55 00 3180
Email :  dkahn1@jnjfr.jnj.com (work)
           dkahn@cix.co.uk      (home)