  • Subject: Re: PF - variable length records
  • From: "Al Barsa, Jr." <barsa2@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 15:34:50 -0700

At 12:11 PM 09/03/1999 -0400, you wrote:

>Can someone give me the jest of how to define 1 physical file with variable
>record lengths?  I'm  thinking we use different record formats.  An example
>or a manual (and we know how hard it is to find something in a manual) would
>be nice.
 From the book:

DDS Reference

VARLEN (Variable-Length Field) Keyword

Use this field-level keyword to define this field as a variable-length
field. Variable-length fields are useful for improving storage
when the data for the field typically fits within a certain length, but can
occasionally be longer. Specify the maximum length of the
field in positions 30 to 34. You can specify the allocated length (or
typical length) in the parameter.

The format of the keyword is:

VARLEN[(allocated-length)]

The allocated-length parameter is optional. Use it to specify the number of
bytes allocated for the field in the fixed portion of the
file. If you do not specify the allocated-length parameter, the data for
this field is stored in the variable length portion of the file.

Valid values for the allocated-length parameter are 1 to the maximum length
of the field specified in positions 30 to 34.

The VARLEN keyword has no parameters for a logical file.

The VARLEN keyword is valid only on character fields.

When you specify the VARLEN keyword, the maximum length you can specify in
positions 30 to 34 is 32 740 (32 739 if the field
allows the null value).

If you specify the DFT keyword for a variable-length field, the length of
the default value must be less than or equal to the allocated
length for the field. If the default value is longer than the allocated
length, an error message is issued when the file is created.

If you specify a hexadecimal value as the default value for a
variable-length field, the number of hexadecimal characters must be
equal to two times the allocated length for the field.

The DFT keyword is not allowed on the same field as a VARLEN keyword unless
you specify a value for the allocated-length
parameter.

Do not specify the VARLEN keyword on a date, time, or timestamp field (L,
T, or Z in position 35).

VARLEN (Variable-Length Field) Keyword--Example

Figure 90 shows how to specify the VARLEN keyword for a physical file.

Figure 90. Specifying the VARLEN Keyword

|...+....1....+....2....+....3....+....4....+....5....+....6....+....7....+.
...8
00010A          R RECORD1
00020A            FIELD1       100A         VARLEN(30)
00030A            FIELD2       200A         VARLEN

FIELD1 is defined as a variable-length field with a maximum length of 100
and an allocated length of 30. FIELD2 is defined as a
variable-length field with a maximum length of 200 and no allocated length.

| Please do not send private mail to this address. |
| Private mail should go to barsa@ibm.net.         |

Al Barsa, Jr. - Account for Midrange-L
Barsa Consulting, LLC.
400 > 390