  • Subject: Re: DASD Usage - DISKTASKS
  • From: "Al Barsa, Jr." <barsa2@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 13:29:09 -0700

At 01:30 PM 09/06/1999 -0400, you wrote:

In fairness to OA, Disk Collection does a lot more than DSPOBJD, but I
cannot readily explain the differences.

A few questions:

Does this system have many:

multi-membered files (source files count)
DLO objects
IFS objects?????

Al

>Al:
>
>I was also puzzled by how long the DISKTASKS job always took to run. It
>seemed
>completely unreasonable, and I attributed it to the programmers and
>operators
>running other jobs. Strange thing was that the DSPOBJD job never took more
>than
>three hours, no matter when I did it.
>
>However, I finally found a Sunday morning when the client had no production
>jobs
>and there were no programmers around. Kicked off the DSPOBJD job and the
>DISKTASKS job at the same time. There were 100,000 objects and 200 gigabytes
>of
>DASD.
>
>DSPOBJD was done in less than three hours. Immediately following was the
>QRYDOCLIB job, which took less than an hour. The DISKTASKS job took about 26
>hours to complete - collection only, no reports. There were no other jobs
>running on the system on Sunday. By Monday morning, there were programmers
>signing on and working during the last couple of hours of the DISKTASKS job.
>However, by that time, I already knew how slow it was. On smaller systems
>(fewer
>objects and/or less DASD), there were also differences in time spent
>running,
>but the smaller the system, the smaller the difference in time taken to run
>the
>two jobs.
>
>I will confess that the tests I ran were quite a long time ago now (late
>1997)
>and things may have improved. I don't have this kind of system access any
>more,
>but it would be interesting to know if things have changed.
>
>Debbie Gallagher

| Please do not send private mail to this address. |
| Private mail should go to barsa@ibm.net.         |

Al Barsa, Jr. - Account for Midrange-L
Barsa Consulting, LLC.
400 > 390