  • Subject: Re: v3r2 prereq ptf
  • From: "S.A. Centea" <acentea@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 08:43:21 -0700 (PDT)

--- nina jones <ddi@datadesigninc.com> wrote:
> our birmingham client that's going to install v3r2,
> was trying to
> download the ptf from the ecs line, and she got a
> security message.
> (i'm not exactly sure what it is)
>
> i went in to ecs, and ordered the v3r2 latest cume,
> and also that ptf,
> and had it sent to her.
>
> a couple of questions -
>
> do they still overnite the ptf orders?
>
> and if they don't, why would she get a security
> error?  is there a place
> somewhere internally in the system where that is
> keyed?
>
> and if the ptf's are not overnited, and she can't
> order the ptf, what
> happens if v3r2 is loaded without it?
>
> nj

I did recently several times, from V3R1 to V3R2 and
kept some notes.

Here they are :

1 - make a printout (splf) of all the PRTF, as a
witness of old settings. I did it, it's handy when you
need it. Many PRTF will be modified, it's clearly
written in IBM memos.

2 - verify the memo regarding authority change to
libraries and system objects, if it applies to you or
not. A lot of *PUBLIC authorities in V3R1 will go to
*EXCLUDE in V3R2.

3 - QALWOBJRST sysval should be *ALL.

4 - check if you have 5763999-MF10577. If omitted,
installation will crash with a SRC for lack of system
reserved space. Also apply *PERM old PTF's.

5 - check if third part software is V3R2 compatible.
It was a good move, finding bugs on old query
definitions that came from S38 through several
conversions and did not work anymore on V3R2, even if
on V3R1 were just fine.

Redefining them and applying all ptf's after the
install procedure solved the problem.

6 - do a complete save as you like/ need it

7 - Old tips from ancient times : check the console
address. If it's local (whatever the *DEV name) and
you're not on CTL01, port 0, sw 0, you will not have
access to installing messages.

I never tried it with remote consoles.

8 - the installation itself took a longer time than
IBM's charts in the install manual annexes.

9 - I once found 1 problem on V3R2 setup: the INZSYS
task (install complete) was not successfully ended. To
be sure, check messages in install log (opt. 50 in LIC
menu). I followed IBM procedures and ran INZSYS again,
till it was OK.

Do not try to save w/o INZSYS finished.

10 - check & print sysvals

11 - check if job logs and debugger logs go into
proper outq's, following the change in the PRTF. If
you have the SPLF with the old image, you can do it
(all the QEZJOBLOG stuff, ... ...).

12 - apply the cume tape, which is the last one
planned for V3R2.

13 - Check the IBM Hyper sheets for new extra PTF's
not included in the last tape. I had to download newer
QRY ones (check on internet their status and PSP) but
you might need more, who knows. All PTF procedure was
long, at least 5 hours!

14 - Check the Y2K group PTF's from the Hiper
bulletins, they're not on the cumes.

HTH

===
Andrei Centea