  • Subject: RE: Need to automagically transfer AS/400 flat file to PC c: drive
  • From: Joel Fritz <JFritz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 16:48:58 -0700

I don't like using dos batch files if there's a more straight forward robust
alternative but, this is a technique we used to use to see if a Novell login
was successful.  Here's a batch file that checks to see if a file exists and
writes to a log file if the file doesn't exist:
if exist e:\dork.txt copy dork.txt dork.cpy

if not exist e:\dork.txt echo "copy failed" > copy.log
What we did for the Novell login was to look for a known file that only
existed on a network drive.  You can also use ">>" to append to a log file.

There are also horrible things you can do with the error levels returned
from commands.