Excerpts from midrange-l: 17-Aug-99 Running a Java program "Leland,
David"@Harter.c (2857*)

> I've created a Java program on our /400.  It was actually a program I
> downloaded from Sun's site.  Now, I want to run it.  I keep coming up
> with errors about "Classpath".  I can run the same program on my PC and
> it works fine.  The program is located in "/Java/Programs" and is called
> "Sample.class".  I'm not sure of the terminology, but there are no
> special "Classes" in the Java program - it uses just the standard Java
> classes.

> I've tried all sorts of combinations on the RUNJVA command.  I keep
> encountering the following message:java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
> /Java/programs/sample
> Java program completed with exit code 1

> Anyone have any ideas?

Is the message you're getting a JVAB529: Public write authority on
"/directory"?  If so, it can be ignored for now.

Look out for case-sensitivity on your Java command -- Java program name
searching can be case-sensitive, depending on the file system on the
AS/400.

Confirm the exact name of the subdirectory containing the Sample.class
file (I'm presuming it's /Java/programs) and run this command before
trying the 'JAVA' command again:
        ADDENVVAR CLASSPATH '/Java/programs'

Now try:
        JAVA Sample

If you have the source in the same directory, you could start a qshell
session (presuming you have qshell installed) and recompile the java
source:

        STRQSH                          # start the QShell
        cd /Java/programs               # get to the right directory
        javac Sample.java               # compile the Java source code

Now you should be able to run:
        java Sample

-blair