  • Subject: Re:
  • From: Rob Berendt <rob@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 9:23:29 -0500

For general AS/400 training I'd suggest the courses by ATS (Automated Training
Systems).  They're a set of audio tapes combined with workbooks, and AS/400
software.  Not sexy, but effective.  They're courses cover the whole gamut from
operations to programming, etc.  We have just about their entire set.  For
futher info go to their web site at www.ibmuser.com.  The courses are reusable
for others in your company.  Just don't mark in the workbook.  (Reuse, but not
copying, is approved by ATS).

Another option is to purchase a special training option from IBM.  They have
something called an education card.  Approximately $5,000 bucks for all the
education you can consume in 1 year.  I know of one person let go from a
utility
that moved from the 400.  (Get the clue all of you working for shops still
running V3R2!)  Severance included $4,000 for training plus all expenses.  He
chipped in the remainder and bought the card.

Once you start to build a foundation to work on then I might suggest attending
the conferences such as Common, or the AS/400 Technical Conferences.  You can
learn a lot at these.

If you can get your hands on a copy of an old, out of print IBM manual entitled
'Application Programming:  Application Development by Example'  SC21-9852 this
might be a good start.  Starts with the very basics (minor AS/400 operations,
PDM, SEU) and slowly works your way building RPG programs that get more and
more complex.  Includes DDS, Query, etc.  If you can't get a copy, then get me
written permission from IBM to copy mine, pay for the copy fees and shipping,
and it will be on the way.

IBM has many of their manuals on line or on a CD.  I've customized my own
bookshelf.  These are the ones I've put on mine.  You may wish to consider
these:
ILE RPG for AS/400 Programmers Guide    SC09-2507
ILE RPG for AS/400 Reference                    SC09-2508
AS/400 System API Reference                     SC41-5801
OS/400 DDS Reference                            SC41-5712
OS/400 CL Programming                           SC41-5721
DB2 for OS/400 SQL Programming          SC41-4611
DB2 for OS/400 SQL Reference                    SC41-4612
AS/400 CL Reference                             SC41-4722
RPG/400 User's Guide                            SC09-1816
RPG/400 Reference                                       SC09-1817

I don't have these on my bookshelf but you may want to browse through the
following:
Query/400 Use                                   SC41-5210
Screen Design Aid (SDA)                         SC09-2604
Source Entry Utility (SEU)                      SC09-2605
AS/400 ILE Concepts (V4R3)                      SC41-5606
Programming Development Manager (PDM)   SC09-1771
File Compare and Merge Utility (FCMU)   SC09-1772
Interactive Source Debugger                     SC09-1897

Someone want to tell him how to determine if he has Code/400 loaded on his 400,
and if so, what manuals to read?

jerrykidd@earthlink.net on 08/15/99 05:59:03 PM
Please respond to MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com@Internet