  • Subject: RE: state of the midrange (fwd)
  • From: Rob Berendt <rob@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 12:06:53 -0500

I am a Certified Computer Professional.  (The old CDP.)  Yes, I feel
that it's valid.  There were many questions on there that were based
on experience and not from any study guide test or manual.  I specifically
remember one about negotiating leases for maintenance.  Me, and another
sharp cookie (formerly from here), reviewed the question.  He got it
wrong, but he didn't have the experience.  Out of the 4 or 5 people
here who attempted the CCP I was the only one who passed.  However,
they didn't have the broad based knowledge I did.  They do, or did,
their jobs well.  Perhaps they would have done better on a language
specific exam.

And yes, having the CCP did help in an interview once.  It was specifically
mentioned by the pres of that company.

I've not taken the opportunity to pursue the IBM certifications.  If I
was interviewing someone it would make a difference with me.  Because I
believe that it would indicate that someone had a broad knowledge of the
language and not just the old techniques that have always got them by.
It would also indicate that the person doesn't mind being measured or
graded.

Williamsc@technocrats.co.uk on 08/11/99 11:31:27 AM
Please respond to MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com@Internet