  • Subject: Re: User Index APIs - where find REAL reference material?
  • From: "Dan Bale" <dbale@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 18:29:56 -0400

Simon, thanks for your response.

>>This stuff isn't really that hard.<<
Agreed!  But it would be nice to make informed decisions and get it right the
first time instead of testing this or that and fiddling around with parameters
because IBM didn't provide adequate documentation.  Time is short; I am a father
of three young children.  I will try to find the manuals you mentioned.

Thanks for answering the specific questions.

>>Well, my usual mantra of RTFM applies again.  The information is in the IBM
manuals but needs to be nutted out.<<
Are my specific questions answered somewhere in an IBM manual that exists on the
softcopy cd-rom?  In other words, you knew the answers to my questions because
you first saw it in the manuals?  Or did you determine this through trial and
error?

>>Perhaps I find the IBM manuals easier to read than other people but they are
intended for system programmer's.<<
I can read IBM manuals just fine.  I just need to know where to look.  Again,
I'll check out your references.

Tell me what a "system programmer" does on an AS/400.  Are these the ones that
get to do all the "fun" stuff?  (Left that one wide open, you'll notice!)  Who
hires AS/400 system programmers?

Hope you'll get this before you fly off to visit the queen!

-Dan Bale