  • Subject: OS/2 Proxy Firewall for the AS/400
  • From: "Ed Davidson" <Edavidson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 14:19:18 -0500

I have an AS/400 s10 9406 with V4R2M0 installed, the Cume Tapes, and I have
gone throught IBM's PTF list and installed every applicable PTF to my box.

My problem is this.   Using Internet Explorer (tried version 3.01, 4.x, and
5.) and I hit reload on a page, or I surf to various pages - the image
doesn't come back to the browser.   I may end up with a page that has 50% or
more of the images marked as invalid.  I then have to click on Tools and
CLEAR INTERNET CACHE FILES to be able to view the page again.   This happens
often, and is the source of many help desk calls.

This is what I know;

The problem goes away if I use a different firewall product;

If I set the internet cache to the lowest possible setting in IE, the
problem doesn't go away.

If I don't set the Cache to clear upon exiting IE, then next time you load
IE it doesn't give some of the cached images until the cache is cleared.

This is affecting all of my 200 workstations on 3 different versions of IE.

Netscape is not a solution, although it handles the problem a little better.

Microsoft suport indicates the problem lies with the proxy server, not IE.
(Os/400 firewall v4r2)

If I bypass the proxy server by hooking the workstation up directly to the
internet, I do not have the problem.

I have played with the cache settings in the proxy server.  It doesn't make
a difference on this problem.

Ed Davidson
Prime, Inc.
Edavidson@primeinc.com