Dennis wrote:

>Oh, I hope you didn't think I was coming down on you.  Just trying to
>understand.  Anyway, you tried the first version of the code I sent and it
>didn't work?  Hmmm... that seems odd, unless they've done something
>unusual in the storing of that addy.  Maybe I can have a look this
>evening, when I get home... to see what's up with that.  What was the API
>and the format you were dealing with, again?

No I didn't take it that way, I was just being a clown for a moment.

I did eventually get your code to work when I specified the numeric field
as unsigned, which is how the manual says it is formatted, so I presume
that was the cause of the original error when I tried your suggestion.

I had a day off on this project and then re-read the manuals and your code
quickly before reviewing my code. Unfortunately I made the changes before I
saw Buck's post so I might incorporate that into the equation at a later
stage.

Anyway, I now have a file that is quietly logging Telnet requests so I can
see where these sessions are being originated.

I experimented with returning a device name and it worked very nicely, but
I havent implemented that in the production code. I have to figure out how
to handle someone starting two sessions from the same IP address first. I
was imagining that I would use a 3 letter code and then the last portion of
the IP adress to build a device name, but i have to have a bit more of a
think about it.

I may investigate the URL's that Jeff provided before I pick up this
project again.

Thanks to all those other respondees it was hugely useful.