I am converting some Query/400 queries to AS/400 Query Management queries as
a way to learn Query Management and I need some help.  Running on an S20
with V4R2M0 and current on ptf's.

I am having trouble getting a STRQMQRY query/form with variables to work
within a CL program.  There is a sample in the DB2 for AS/400 Query
Management Programming book using numeric & character variables but my
variable is a date field defined as *ISO Type L in the DDS.  I have a "from"
and "thru" date I am entering to pick out the date range of transactions I
want to print.

When I create the variables in the CL program, I get the error message
"QWM2701 - STRQMQRY has failed".  I "D" the message and look at the
variables & they look okay.

Seeing as how the field being compared to is an *ISO date field & the
variables are defined as TYPE(*CHAR) LEN( 8), is that my problem or does it
have nothing to do with that.  I even defined the variables as LEN(10) and
that didn't help.  Starting to get desperate in trying to understand my
problem.

Running the query interactively & entering the variables as 19990601 &
19990630 gives me the error "Comparison operator >= operands not
compatible".

Running the query interactively & entering the variables as '19990601' &
'19990630' gives me the error "Syntax of date, time, or timestamp value not
valid".

Running the query interactively & entering the variables as '1999-06-01' &
'1999-06-30' and it works just fine.  So I CHGVAR in the CL program to get
to this format and it still fails. The book talks about extra quotes being
needed but doesn't tell you why so I keep running the CL and Dumping the
variables when it fails but I still can't get it to work.<NAVBG>

FEU displays the data as '1999-06-03' or whatever date is in the record.

I have two other queries similar to this except there the date fields are
defined as numeric and the variables are created like '19990601' &
'19990630' and they work correctly.

I have spent several hours trying to figure this out & I am no closer now
than when I started, just more frustrated. Any idea as to what I need to
correct to get this to work?

TIA

Dilbert's Words Of Wisdom:
"I love deadlines.  I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they
go flying by."

Dennis Munro
Badger Mining Corporation
dmunro@badgerminingcorp.com <mailto:dmunro@badgerminingcorp.com>