  • Subject: [Fwd: Ebay... Netcraft and the AS/400 as Web Server !!]
  • From: Chuck Lewis <CLEWIS@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 19:00:27 -0500

Some interesting info to go along with the AS/400 as Web Server !!

Chuck

From: edsmith@ibmuser.com (Ed Smith)

Netcraft has plenty of data for the AS/400. I've been recording the
AS/400-related numbers in database file for quite a while now and wrote
a Net.Data macro to present a barchart at http://www.ibmuser/com/ers

The thing is, you have to know the names of the server software products
that run on an AS/400. And even that doesn't always give you strictly
AS/400 servers. For example, how can you tell if a Domino server is
running on AS/400 hardware? What about the Netscape server? Until a
couple months ago, any server that reported itself as running IBM HTTP
Server was an AS/400. But the IBM HTTP Server now runs on other
hardware, and the Netcraft survey doesn't parse out enough of the server
software name to differentiate the various platforms.

I haven't updated my database in a couple of months because I'm not sure
how to handle the loss of integrity in Netcraft's IBM HTTP Server
numbers. I don't want to visit each and every site to find out. But my
point is that Netcraft has always had adequate data for finding out how
many AS/400 webservers are operating on the Internet.

--
Edward R. Smith
ATS Project Leader mailto:edsmith@ibmuser.com http://www.ibmuser.com/

--- IGNITE400 MEMBERS LIST