The physical file does not have duplicates.  This is definitely an SQL
result set "work file" problem.  There are no joins, it even returns two
records on a count(*) select.  We have found dozens of SQL based PTF's (on
top of PTF's) that we are going to try, but it is pretty darn scary that
something like this can happen.  It's almost like dealing with Microsoft...
Yikes!

john