  • Subject: Re: Creating ODBC sources for many remote PC's
  • From: "Roger Pence" <rp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 10:27:29 -0500

Mike--

With OpsNav you can centrally create and store system data sources on the
AS/400. From OpsNav, a right click on the data source name "registers" that
ODBC data source with the client PC.

While this is a potential answer to your question, it has two downsides:
1. Doesn't work with file data sources (which are what MS Query insists on)
2. Requires OpsNav on any desktop that wants to use the data source--not
really to use the data source, but to register it. (Having said that, bet
you could make a REG file to distribute and use to squirt the necessary
registry entries to the client with, as long as REGEDIT were on the
desktop--geeze, the conditional crap involved reminds me why I hate ODBC so
much!).

Also, I bet you could park centrally located file DSN's on a mapped drive
(using NetServer, for example).

rp