  • Subject: What is Domino Was --> Re: Re[2]: The Magic Box
  • From: "Jeffrey Silberberg" <jsilberberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jul 1999 12:01:07 -0400

Steve,

        Might I politely suggest you send these people to some Lotus
introduction sessions, as you are not doing a good job of explaining the
power or functionality of the product, based on this message.

        A DOMINO NSF (Notes Storage File) is more like a library that keeps
multiple types of objects, including the actual documents (Records).
Definitions of the documents format called Forms (PF DDS), and Views (LFs).
Within the Forms, Sub-Forms, Views and NSF Events is the application logic
(RPG) in the form of @commands, or Lotus Script, or in newer Releases Java
and/or a combination of the above.

        An application is just as complicated here as it would be as a
native AS/400 application, and sometimes more so, it's just that the tools
are different, and the underlying support of Notes & Domino provide many
GROUPWARE features that the AS/400 does not. Such as field level replication
making the application "SOMETIMES" more portable.

        JMS...

    PS: I am a Notes Developer who has been around the 3X world since the S3
Model 6.  This is the way I translate things, others may do it differently.
<G>