  • Subject: Re: JCL(?) question
  • From: "Dan Bale" <dbale@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 17:50:37 -0400

Stephanie,

Sorry to hear that you've got a B10.  REALLY sorry!

First thing you need to know about the environment (based on the line you
posted) is that it is not the native AS/400 environment but, rather, the S/36
(System/36) environment.  So, you'll need to look up further questions in your
S/36 environment manuals that came with the AS/400.  If you don't have the paper
manuals, do you have the Softcopy CD-ROM?

In particular, the line you posted comes from OCL (Operation Control Language, I
think).

NAME-OUTPUT:  OUTPUT is the name of the file in the program called
LABEL-XYADROUT:  XYADROUT is the name of the file on the system
RETAIN-J:  This is a "J"ob file that disappears after the job completes
RECORDS-?F'A,XYINTRAP'?:  The number of actual, non-deleted records that exist
in a file with the label XYINTRAP.  It is not quite what I would call the "size"
of the file, as you can create a file to hold X number of records but have zero
records in it.

In this case, XYINTRAP has zero records.  You are not allowed to create a file
with a top capacity of zero records.  This is a typical error that should have
been trapped before the code got to that point.  Based on your case, most likely
you want to bypass further processing in that procedure (or, at least, perform
some kind of exception processing) if you've got no records in that file.  For
example, before the //LOAD statement that precedes the //FILE statement, a test
like:

// IF ?F'A,XYINTRAP'? = 0   GOTO BYPASS

I'm unsure of the exact syntax, as it's been, thankfully, a very long time since
I've been in the S/36 environment.

// LOAD ABC123 - This "loads" program ABC123; prepares it to run
// RUN - This starts the "loaded" program with its associated // FILE
directives.

>>We've got the old B10 here, and we had problems with a batch job that was
part of our month end.  I've found the proc/JCL that ran this job and there
is a parameter that I can't resolve, nor can I find reference to this in any
of the manuals here.  The line is:

// FILE NAME-OUTPUT,LABEL-XYADROUT,RETAIN-J,RECORDS-?F'A,XYINTRAP'?

The records parameter was interpreted as 00000000 when this job ran.  Is
this some kind of function call to see the size of the input file(which was
XYINTRAP)?

What manual would this be in?  I've got a Control Language Programmer's
Guide here but can't find this type of statement.  I didn't find any of the
actually, nor can I find an explanation for // LOAD, or // RUN, which seem
obvious, but I'd really like to find the right manual.<<