  • Subject: RE: MSF mail stopped working
  • From: "Stone, Brad V (TC OASIS)" <bvstone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 13:45:55 -0500

Just a suggestion for an alternative that will save bandwith and
programming, and a possible mail fix.

Make an HTML page from the data and put it out somewhere, or use RPG to
write a CGI program to build the page dynamically.  You could put a password
on the page using the Protect directive if security was an issue.

Why this is better than e-mail?
1.  Your manager doesn't depend on getting the email.  The data is rebuilt
and refreshed when he hits the page.  Control goes to the manager to see the
data, and you are out of the loop after the application is done.  (Using
dynamic CGI)
2.  No paper is used unless he prints it.  (Same with email, I guess)
3.  Web serving on the AS/400 is easier that mail serving.
4.  You depend only on one machine (your AS/400) and not another "other
type" of server.  What if your in-house mail server is down?  You know who
will get the blame.  Not the mail-server admin that's for sure.
5.  Managers dig web pages more than email.

As far as the email problems, I have used the News sample successfully.  I
am guessing that you need to set up users as a directory entry with the
correct parameters:

Mail service level  . .   2
Preferred address . . .   3

I believe this needs to be set up for a user that is sending mail out of the
AS/400.

Also, check the TCPIP referece or the Red book "Cool Title about the AS/400
and the Internet" for some good info.

Bradley V. Stone
BVS/Tools
http://www.bvstools.com