Re: Growing your own programmers

  • Subject: Re: Growing your own programmers
  • From: Howard Weatherly <hweatherly@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 12:24:39 -0400

fixed

Mark,

Allow me to add my 2 bits here, I have read this thread and in spite of
Deans rather gloomy message, I would point out that most (programmers) were
non technical before becoming programmers; I do agree that the devil is in
the details though. If your intended candidates exhibit an affinity for
details and like puzzles, chances are good that they can think abstractly
(out of the box in current vernacular). From my perspective  there is
enough discipline involved for programming to be considered a science as
well as being an art, so go for it, but get someone in as an anchor,
someone with extensive experience that can help the folks in the
transition.

Allen, Mark wrote:

> Would appreciate any input from companies and/or individuals who have
> taken "non-programmers" and through in house training/external training
> converted them to AS/400 RPG programmers.  I am considering starting a
> program here to do that and would like all the "experts" out there who
> may have done something similar to share their experiences.
>
> Mark Allen
> MIS Manager
> Mattel-Murray
> allenma1@mattel.com