  • Subject: Re: String Searching
  • From: "Denis Robitaille" <DRobitaille@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 10:10:53 -0400

On the logical file definition, you can use a translation table that will
equate all similar letters (E e é É ...). The file level keyword is
ALTSEQ(table-name). If you want i could email you the detail of the table (a
lot of hex caracters). If you are interested, email me privetly.

Denis Robitaille
Cascades Inc
819 363 5187
fax 819 363 5177
DRobitaille@cascades.com

>>> "Doug Holmes" <doug@netserv.ouac.on.ca> 05/27 3:42 PM >>>
Hi,

We stores people's names in our database in mixed upper-/lower- case, and mixed
english/french characters.  We've gradually been experiencing little problems
now with
name searches, alphabetically sorted lists, etc., since the characters get
sorted  {a,b,
..., z, A, B, ..., Z} and english letters like "e" and "a" not being equal to
"e`" and "a`"
(i.e. letter with french accent above).  So, names like "de Silva" do not sort
with the
rest of the "D's", "von ..." do not sort with the rest of the "V's", etc. We've
tossed
around a couple of solutions like:

1) storing another version of the name fields in strict upper-case/english
only, and
using that for searching, then displaying the other version to users

2) building temporary files containing the same as in 1) as needed

3) translating the data in the input records and search arguments on the fly as
they're
read from the file (which may mean reading the complete file in some
applications, or
at least more reads than just doing a basic "<search argument> SETLL <file> and

Does anyone have any other tricks or solutions that you'd be willing to share?

Thanks in advance,
Doug
  Doug Holmes
  Senior Programmer
  Ontario Universities' Application Centre
  P.O. Box 1328, 650 Woodlawn Road West
  Guelph ON, CANADA  N1H 7P4
  TELEPHONE: (519)823-1940, x 224   FAX: (519)823-5232
  www.ouac.on.ca