Allen, Stuart wrote:

> OK, have done the upgrade, and after ten days use the new disk arms are at
> 24%, with the old at 54%.
> Billy mentioned that V4R3 and up of os/400 have a disk balance command, but
> we're on V4R2.
> However i heard somewhere that this had been available since V4R1, so did a
> bit of digging on the commands, and came across STRDSKRGZ in the CL
> reference manual.
> This seems to be like a defrag on a pc.
> My question is  1) Will this balance my disk load when it runs ?
>                 2) Is it a good idea to run this command?  I'm a bit
> confused as to what exactly it does in a raid environment!

I remember this command to be associated with cisc to risc upgrades
and will do nothing good for your balance problem... Raid is a backup
method for concurrent(not always) replacement of a bad drive.

Have never use the new load balance procedure, so I will not comment.

The ONLY way, to my knowledge, of getting a "balance" across all disk
drives, is a total reload,the data being scatttered across all drives
in a equal(more or less) manner.

Unless you having serious performance problems, why be concerned about
the balance ???