  • Subject: Re: Number of System Admin Needed to Support AS/400's
  • From: Randy Mangham <randym69@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 15:31:57 -0700

Bob,

There a number of variables involved in this. In my past life (seemed like the
company wanted my whole life anyway <grin>), I managed a shop with 1 active
machines with 550 users in 12 locations. It took one SA only part time to manage
them all. We wrote a few programs to automate the process of setting up user
profiles, etc. and everybody was attached to a group profile that granted just
the
amount of authority we wanted a particular type of user to have. I assume these
machines are in 14 locations? Are they connected full-time over a network so
that
manageability is a little easier from a central location? Another thing to think
about is the turnover among the user base. If it's not too great, the workload
is
easier. We even had users who had sign on authority to multiple machines. Our
programs replicated user profiles wherever they needed to be replicated. There
are
(of course, created AFTER we needed them years ago) tools on the market to
assist
in all this centralized system administration. They can do a lot more than
profile
maintenance naturally (everything from keeping system values consistent, etc.).
I've not used any of them so won't mention them and imply an endorsement. We
chose
to stick with the home grown programs a) because they were already there and
"paid
for" and b) they also set up all the security parameters within our packaged
applications at the same time GREATLY reducing the time needed to set up a user
from about 1/2 hour to about 10 seconds.

A caveat learned the hard way. Don't give object ownership EVER to a user. Give
it
only to the group profile. Makes deleting the user's profile a whole lot easier.

Randy Mangham
Pacific Crest Consulting
San Diego, CA