  • Subject: RE: Recommended ISPs
  • From: "BORING, David" <dboring@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 17:01:21 -0500

I would be careful with Cable & Wireless right now. Part of the deal of MCI
and WorldCom merging was for MCI to sell its very good MCI Internet to Cable
& Wireless. C&W has filed a lawsuit against MCIWorldCom stating that they
feel they essentially got screwed because they got a network, but MCI kept
all of the people. I know for fact that C&W is still working to get a sales
force set up and an accounting department set up; they are outsourcing
accounting from MCIWorldCom. They are also running out of time for their
free use of MCIWorldCom's circuits.

On the good side, a friend of mine uses C&W for the company he works for.
His company has a T1 from C&W. They is 2 hops off MAE-West and get great
access times with very little problems technically. The problems he has, and
the reasons he is looking to change, have to do with the lack of people C&W
has.

I have also used PacBell Internet in the past, but found that their service
deteriorated as they added users. This was over 18 months ago, so they may
have taken care of that problem.

One other ISP that I have for personal use is Earthlink. So far, they have
treated me very well and I have had no problems with them technically,
billing, or otherwise. How this translates to a dedicated line, I don't
know.

Good luck!

David Boring
Systems Engineer