Ken, then I'd guess you haven't been around the mid-range box long.  This
is preaching to the choir, but the war stories are always interesting.

First though, one feature of the IBM mid-range (I say mid-range because
the war stories go  wayyyy back before the AS/400) is that they run.  They
just plain run.  Disaster recovery is a rare thing.

You know, for example, that there are _no_ AS/400 viruses ever in the
wild?

Another example: back in the 1980s I had a Sys/34 sit under a running
sprinkler system all night.  The water was 8" deep in there in the
morning.  Once we got the room dried out we started the Sys/34 and it ran.
The high-water mark was a source of pride for us until the company sold
the plant and went on to other things.

On the other hand if disaster recovery is inevitable then the AS/400 is
the box you do want.  Backup and recovery procedures are clearly
understood and practiced, scheduling is well behaved, and the tapes
behave.  Manuals are thorough and detailed and operations know just the
steps to use.  Recoveries recover the first time if you follow
instructions, and the recovery time is reliantly quick.