  • Subject: Re: Virtual Device spontaneous combustion!
  • From: John Earl <johnearl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 23:48:43 -0700

Jeffrey,

Jeffrey Stevens wrote:

> John,
>
> I'm guessing Telnet clients are requesting these devices being used by
> your APPC clients.  If you set up named devices for APPC, and then a
> client Telnet comes asking for that device, it is possible the authorities
> established under the SNA session might vanish.

Actually no, we're not using APPC at all for the PC connections.  All of the
connections
are Telnet, it's just that everyone is using a different package, so the
terrminal types
differ.

But I just discovered something else that is odd about these delete/recreate.

My problem is that all of the devices are secured by Authorization list DEVD.
When
device QPADEV0003 get's deleted and recreated (for example), the new device
lists
*PUBLIC's authority as *AUTL (that's good), but the new device description
object  has no
Authorization List attached to it.  (???!!!???)    Shouldn't the DLT/CRT
procedure
duplicate this as well?    If it did, I wouldn't have an authority problem and
wouldn't
care if Telnet was deleting and recreating my devices.   But the way things are
working
now, if UserA causes a device to be deleted and recreated, USERA is not
authorized to use
the device because *PUBLIC's authority is controlled by an Authorization list
that is not
attached to the object.

Is this the way it's supposed to work?

(hope not)