  • Subject: Changing Qdate and Date sim products question
  • From: Steve Roach <sroach@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 09:45:42 -0700

Hello again:

I posted a question a few weeks ago about our programmers wanting to change
Qdate for Y2K testing and what alternatives there were to doing this.  I
received a lot of responses and am very grateful for the feedback.  However,
I would like to understand more because I have a questionable situation
here.

Our programmers want to change the system date this weekend.  We are to
perform an Option 21 (probably 2) for recovery.

"Under no conditions should you date you redate your own system unless you
plan to scratch install it afterwards." (From Al Barsa)

Does this mean that I will have to reinstall the operating system as well?
Could an Option 21 be used reliably to restore the system back to it's
previous state (before the date change)?

I don't want to have to restore the entire system if I don't have to.  I
know now that there are date simulation products out there, but the one I
have in mind is expensive (SimDate, $3000).  I'm trying to weigh the cost of
this program and its benefits against the possible disaster I could run into
restoring from tape (120+ gigs).  I would much rather have SimDate on my
side as it sounds safe.  I just need justification to purchase it.  Renting
another AS/400 sounds cumbersome, but I'm willing to consider it.

I would appreciate any information or advice anyone has to offer.

Thank you,

Steve Roach
Vestcom/Manus Direct, Seattle
(206)325-2200 x 245