  • Subject: RE: Bad TCP/IP routes
  • From: Rob Berendt <rob@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 10:38:05 -0500

Buddy,

I didn't catch your earlier email.  We've had a real problem with these
learned routes also.  Seems like we were doing something stupid like
using internal addresses that are commonly used on the outside instead
of reserved addresses, (like having them begin with 198 instead of 10).
My boss's computer was usually the first one to take the big hit.  We
started out by assigning him a couple of addressed to use until we could
IPL the 400.  Dropping TCP didn't do squat.  We did some additional
tricks.  Some were by playing with the Cisco routers.  One was by adding
routes.  Detail as follows.  We have multiple rings with routers between
each ring.  If boss's address was 198.4.1.123 we would add a route
telling all the 198.4.... addresses to go to 198.4.1.201, an internal
router.  This stopped it from trying the router pointing to the internet.
GO CFGTCP
2. Work with TCP/IP routes
198.4.0.0       255.255.0.0      198.1.1.2        198.1.1.201

MARK_WELTE@denso-diam.com on 04/19/99 10:01:04 AM
Please respond to MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com@Internet