From:  mail@ih (Jerome Draper) {jdraper@wco.com}
Sent:  Wednesday, April 14, 1999 6:34 PM
To:  mail@ih {MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com}; erhardt
Subject:  Re: Remote access

At 12:39 PM 4/13/99 EDT, you wrote:
>I currently use LapLink to connect to my work PC, giving me access to
our
>AS/400.  This works okay for me, but I would like to give others the
same
>access without having individual separate phone lines, etc.  I have an
ASCII
>workstation controller that is not being used.  Can I use this with
Client
>Access or any other program?  If not, any suggestions how to accomplish
this?

The ASCII workstation controller (AWC) is limited to 19.2 and is not
available in the new PCI based black box AS/400's.  For simple direct
AS400
access you can use the Synapse RemoteAPPC which is software that runs in
PC under Windows.  It is a firewall between your dialup and the AS400
(userid/password, dial back, caller ID, and scheduling).  At the simplist
level it supports com1 and com2 but it can be expanded to 16 simultaneous
dialups with RocketPort serial port expansion cards.  Response time is
great and it can run at speeds up to 115kb so the typical 56kb modems are
very adequate.  Best thing is that it is industrial strength.  It don't
fail.

Claimer:  I sell, support, recommend, and use Synapse products.

This product is a one of a kind and it won first prize at COMMON SP99 in
SFO in Remote Control category (Showcase Excellence Awards -- Midrange
Computing magazine).

Regards,

Jerry Draper

Jerry Draper, Trilobyte Software Systems, since 1976
Specializing in connecting PC's, Windows, MAC's, and LAN's to the AS/400
Representing Synapse, Apple, IBM, UDS, Nlynx, MI, DCI, Netsoft, etc.
(415) 457-3431; (415) 258-1658fax; jdraper@wco.com
MIDRANGE-L-UNSUB@midrange.com.
david@midrange.com