  • Subject: Re: Need Info on Parallel to Twinax Converter
  • From: "Jeffrey Silberberg" <jsilberberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 22:26:02 -0400

Kirk,

        This latest Twist is interesting.  If you are going to keep the
AS/400 systems for financial and HR stuff,
why not let the Tandems print through the AS/400s to the existing printers.
The AS/400 can be the target of the LPD/LPR process and you can just spool
to the proper Outq. No new cable, no new printers, limited new printer
operator training.   This may be the best answer, I can not remember ever
seeing a device configured like you are describing.

        Good Luck,
        JMS..

  PS:  I once did an interface between a SYS/38 and MUMPS running on a
Series/1 for just this type project.  All the Hospital's Lab software ran on
MUMPS, but the Census and Billing ran on the SYS/38.  Even then we used a
SYS/38 printer when ever possible.