When I first learned the cycle, I loved it!

In fact, I thought RPG was the neatest thing in the world---fill in the
blank programming. And I'd probably have to lean towards using the cycle
today for "standard", "classic", whatever-word-you-choose reporting. I
mean, who has the time to do anything else?

But where I got burned was when, after coding a pretty standard report for
a former boss, he said: "I want you to put control break info in the
headings...like company and company name."

Well the problem was (if I can remember...help if you will) the dang 1P
headings occurred prior to reading any records from the file...and since
the company was a column in the file, the company name in the heading was
blank at 1P time.

...Hmmm...

By the time I got through, it was a sight...seton this indicator after the
first record is read so the headings will come out right...setof another
indicator for this...be sure not to forget "blank after"...L1, L2, L3, ...
YIKES!

That was 1989. I never coded another program that used the cycle.

Philosophy widely varies on this subject. I suppose it's all in the eyes of
the beholder. Now, after being a coder for 10 years, I actually get mad
when somebody requests a custom report. I want to tell them, "Get off your
butt and learn to use query!"  But, lest ye receive wrath from thy boss,
thee codeth multi-level loops and control breaks with joy and happiness on
thy face.

Wynn

P.S. And now the next topic: How I learned to stop worrying and love Halt
indicators 8-)>

"You people with the cheese!"--Jackie Chiles, Attorney