  • Subject: Re: BRMS/ADSTAR
  • From: John Cirocco <JCirocco@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 05 Apr 1999 08:32:57 -0400

Graham,

First off, I use my AS/400 as an ADSM server.  We back up 6 different operating
systems to it.  We use our 3570 B22 tape drive to augment 14 gb of disk storage.

For the most part, ADSM works great for the bulk of our platforms.  My biggest
issue right now is how to recover an NT server box. PAINFULL!!  Netware, Unix
(all flavors) are no  problem.  Highly recommend for systems that do not change
drastically on a daily basis.  I have stopped using ADSM to back up our
Groupwise EMail as the entire system appears to be updated daily causing a full
system backup each night.

Best advice, training!

My second biggest advice is DO NOT use ADSM to back up a /400 with BRMS.
Normal save restore works much better and is safer.  Practice recoveries with
NT and do all the rest.

Finally, join the mailing list on Marist university.  Volume larger than
Midrange-L but worth it...  Info is on ADSM web pages on subscribing.

EMail me directly if you would like more detailed info  (like using the 3570 in
library mode...)

John

John W. Cirocco
Manager, Data Center Operations
Computer Task Group, Inc.
700 Delaware Ave.
Buffalo, NY  14209
Phone - (716) 888-3566
Pager 1-800-283-2255  Pin# 12029
John.Cirocco@ctg.com
John@ctg.com
JCirocco@gw.ctg.com

>>> "Graham Chapman." <gjchap@globalnet.co.uk> 04/04 2:39 PM >>>
Hi..

I'd like some first hand experiences from anyone who is running BRMS / ADSTAR
for backup to a 3570 Cxx device. I'm currently trying to spec. out an AS/400 (a
170) which will participate in a LAN environment. There will also be several NT
servers, including an IPCS in the AS/400 itself. Can I use the AS/400 and
ADSTAR to backup up all servers to the 3570 or would I be better off with a
lower spec (and cheaper) drive on the AS/400 purely for AS/400 backups and
shared DAT drives on the NT servers? I have had both recommendations from two
seperate hardware suppliers. I don't know enough about ADSTAR or BRMS or 3570s
to make a reasoned decision.

There are other questions about this LAN environment setup that I'd like to ask
but it could prove quite long winded for the mailing list - I don't want to
bore everyone. If anyone would be willing to help me out in a private thread
then I'd be most grateful....

TIA

Graham Chapman
Marconi Marine (VSEL)