  • Subject: Re: General purpose "level break" logic for RPG.
  • From: Jim Welsh <jimwelsh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 05 Apr 1999 01:25:19 -0400

PaulMmn wrote:

> Coding all this by hand is 'better' than using The Cycle?
>
> I once did something similar in COBOL-- the logic works just fine in COBOL.
>(:
>
> --Paul E Musselman
> PaulMmn@ix.netcom.com
>

> >Here is a simple level break routine that has served me well.
> >RPG II is history folks...get with the program already. :-)
> >
> >Ok Ok Ok...whatever you prefer...
> >Yes I still use program described print specs.
> >What do you think ? I'm going to use RLU ? Bwhaahahahaa
> >
> *Example Program Snipped*
>
> >--
> >Jim Welsh
> >Programmer/Analyst
> >Halkey-Roberts Corporation - St. Pete FL
> >727-577-1300 x279
> >http://www.netcom.com/~jimwelsh/welcome/welcome.html
> >mailto:jimwelsh@ix.netcom.com

Come to think of it...it was the 80's when I learned this stuff...
easier than the cycle ? perhaps not...but it's the way i like it...the cycle is
invisible logic...and requires more effort to remember when it does what...vs
logic
that you can see in the code.

I've worked with many monolithic RPG II report programs...after they have been
around awhile...patched, modified, cloned, changed from just reports to progams
that report and output and update...etc...they are total hell to maintain.

Don't get me started....  ;>