  • Subject: RE: ILE - Date Substraction
  • From: Joel Fritz <JFritz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 12:40:52 -0800

No, you're not doing anything wrong; it's the way subdur works.  Here's an
excerpt from the RPG Reference:

"When subtracting a duration in months from a date, the general rule is
 that the month portion is decreased by the number of months in the
 duration, and the day portion is unchanged.  The exception to this is when
 the resulting day portion would exceed the actual number of days in the
 resulting month.  In this case, the resulting day portion is adjusted to
 the actual month end date.  The following examples (which assume a *YMD
 format) illustrate this point.

      '95/05/30' SUBDUR 1:*MONTH results in '95/04/30'

     The resulting month portion has been decreased by 1; the day portion
     is unchanged.

    '95/05/31' SUBDUR 1:*MONTH results in '95/04/30'

   The resulting month portion has been decreased by 1; the resulting day
   portion has been adjusted because April has only 30 days."

The key phrase is "the day portion is unchanged..."  Is it a bug or a
feature?  It is the way it works.  A more reliable way to find the last day
of the previous month is to subtract 1 day from the first of the "current"
month.

It does raise the philosophical question, "How long is a month?"