                From:   Stone, Brad V (PP)
[mailto:bvstone@ppress-tc.com]
                Sent:   Tuesday, March 23, 1999 3:13 PM
                To:     'MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com'
                Subject:        RE: IBM pushing Java

                And it also didn't say everyone was rushing to purchase
it.  How many RPG
                programmers (outside of the folks that participate on
mailing lists,
                newsgroups, etc) would welcome management implementing a
new package written
                in java?  I would say very few.  And a new system, no
matter what language
                it's written in, is "plug and play".

                Interesting story here.  Recently the corp I work for
aquired a new company.
                They were running a unix system and in the middle of
converting everything
                to java.  Now, they are losing the unix box and
implementing an AS/400.
                They started talking about how they'd have to redo most
of the system.  Me,
                being cynical, said "just port the java code... it's
portable, right?"

                Ahhh... we forgot about database differences (field
names, data types,
                etc)....

                When companies like JDEdwards, MAPICS, etc start selling
fully functionals
                packages written entirely in java, and that is all they
are offering, then
                we will know java is here to stay.  But, I can almost
guarentee that will
                never happen.

                Brad