  • Subject: Re: IBM pushing Java
  • From: "David Prowak" <prowakd@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 19:06:54 -0500

My comment was meant in a different vain then how it was perceived.

Let me try this again:
The most significant similarity between Java & JavaScript is the
spelling of the 1st 4 chars of their names.

Perhaps alittle history is in order.  JavaScript is so named as a result
of the marketing machine over @ Netscape.  Unless your going to tell
me that Netscape had planned to call their scripting language JavaScript
even back in the early days when Java was code named Oak.  Or perhaps
Netscape was thinking about calling it OakScript back then....
The naming was chosen as a way for Netscape to be recognized by even
the most casual observer as being on the Java bandwagon.

In reference to http://www.jsr.communitech.net/difference.htm
Firstly, the document was last updated 8/15/98.  In that time
period, Java has undergone several minor changes and 1 major release
with Java 1.2 (AKA Java 2 thanks to Sun's marketing folks).
While maybe not as significant, JavaScript hasn't stayed the same either!

The major differences are a result of Java being a strongly typed and
object-oriented
programming language, NOT an object based scripting language, as JavaScript
is.
That's a MAJOR difference.  OOD/OOP are a world away from any scripting
language.

"but there are more similarities.  "
But it's not a question of creating a chart and counting the differences
and
similarities.  It's the significance of the similarities and differences
that matter,
not simply the number of each.

One more time: <BG>
IMHO, the most significant similarity between Java and JavaScript can be
found
in the 1st 4 characters of each.

Dave