  • Subject: RE: *** ADMIN: HTML Messages
  • From: Bob Crothers <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 14:47:12 -0000

Glenn,

And there are also those who have HTML capable Email but for security
reasons do not want to turn it on.

I do not know if it can be done, but what if the "browser" that
displays the email brings down an active x control that does nasty's
to your system?  Or what mode does Java run in when done via Email?
 Is it an applet that must live in the "sand box"?  Or an Application
that can do what it wants?

By only accepting text, I chose when to "execute" stuff that comes
over my Email.  Not the sender.

On another list I am on (of very technical people, it is the MSVC MFC
mailing list) they have been having a problem with the HAPPY99 virus.
 The Happy99 comes across as uu-encoded so the list restrictions on
attachments are not invoked.  One person (on a list of over 600)
executed this program.  Happy99 hooks into your WinSock.dll and
watches the SMTP traffic...when it sees it and an new "to" address, it
sends itself to that recipient.

Lets say that recipient is my wife.  She trusts anything I send to
her.  So she executes.  Now she would be infected.  Nasty.

So, if Midrange-L goes to HTML email, I will continue doing what I do
now.  Any HTML email's get deleted right away.  I do not look at or
respond to them.  Some might say that for me, this is a good
thing....but I do know I've helped at least one or two out with my
replies.

I STRONGLY urge:  No HTML email on Midrange-L.

Can the above actually happen right now?  I don't know.  But I don't
want to find out the hard way either.  HTML does not add anything to
the content of an Email.  Why take the chance?

Regards,
Bob Crothers
Cornerstone Communications, LLC
www.faxserver401.com