Rob,

thanks for you reply

> | The CPYTOSTMF command requires that the from file be formatted
> | QSYS.LIB/userlib.LIB/userfile.FILE/usermbr.MBR
>*/
>         CHGVAR     VAR(&FROMMBR) +
>                    VALUE('QSYS.LIB/' *TCAT +
>                           &LIB *TCAT '.LIB/' *TCAT +
>                           &FILE *TCAT '.FILE/' *TCAT +
>                           &MBR *TCAT '.MBR')
>
>         CPYTOSTMF  FROMMBR(&FROMMBR) TOSTMF(&STMF) +
>                      STMFOPT(&STMFOPT) STMFCODPAG(819)

I tried a few variations on this, but it seemed that I had a file that had
more than 3 fields (i.e. not a source file) or that was not program
desribed. I presumed from this that the input file had to be a
single-field-per-record kind of file and that converting it to a stream
file was basically altering it from fixed length format.

>Probably the culprit is your code page.
>Normally I do NOT put this into QDLS.  I don't know how familiar you are
with the IFS so

How do these code page things work ? I (think I) understand that it is to
allow translation between various platforms/character sets, whatever name
suits you so that each platform "knows" that character is what... ie "a"
remains "a" through all the platforms, but how do I manage it in relation
to the copying as detailed above ?

I still believe that I ought to be able to copy from a physical file using
the CPYTOIMPF command and output to a stream file that in QDLS (for
example) and end up with a comma delimitted file that a PC can read. So far
this has not been so.

What I have been able to do so far is: Use CPYTOIMPF to create another
physical or source file that has comma delimited records, but still in a
fixed length style format (all the commas are neatly lined up at the end of
the fields, leaving the file nicely packed with plenty of space-hungry
blanks). Use CPYTOSTMF to convert the fixed length comma delimited file
into a document in QDLS which I can then mail, or can be accessed via
shared folders.

This just seems like an extra step, and the resultant PC file although
readable still has all those pesky blanks.

I just thought I must be doing something wrong, unless this is hows it's
done .... ?

Cheers.