  • Subject: Re: Saving spool files!
  • From: John Cirocco <JCirocco@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 12:57:28 -0500

Kenneth,

Do you happen to have another AS/400?  When I did my CISC to RISC, I created a
little app that listed the queues and the the spooled files within and used
SNADS to send them to the new system  under the original user ID.  Only problem
was user ID's longer than 8 were "missed" and had to be done manually.  Luckily
I have very few users like that...

John

>>> "Graap, Ken" <keg@exchange.gasco.com> 03/17 11:57 AM >>>
Time to share my frustration...

I'm in the process of planning a major configuration change to our
production system which will involve backing up the entire system (twice)
scratching all system data, initializing the system, adding 22 new disk
drives, reconfiguring RAID sets and ASP's and then reloading the entire
system.

This is all a pretty straight forward process (even though it will take 32
hours!) for everything on the system except spool files.

I wish IBM would treat a spool file as a real object.

I know I can copy the spool file to a DB file or to a folder, backup up the
DB file or folder and then restore it later, in fact I do archive spool
files regularly via BRMS but only after they have aged about 30 days.

The restore process results in the loss of several very important
attributes. The most important being the Jobname the file was originally
created in and the original creation date. This really makes things
difficult when trying to locate a spool file after it has been restored...
and ... we have 1000's of spool files users access on a regular basis.

Does anyone else share my frustration?

Does anyone have a good reason why IBM couldn't create a "spool object"
which could be saved and restored just like any other object on the system,
without changing original attributes?

Doing this would sure make my life easier....

Geesh!

Kenneth